I love baking muffins. It’s probably one of my most favourite desserts. But one thing that I do struggle with is to find perfect muffin recipe. To me the perfect muffins have to be healthy, sweet (but not too much) and moist.
These strawberry muffins definitely have all of those qualities. There is no refined sugar in the batter, instead they are sweetened with dates and a little bit of honey. I poured white chocolate over top of muffins, so they’re not completely sugar-free. If you’re not fan of chocolate, you could certainly omit it.
Instead of using white flour, I added in spelt flour, almond flour and oat flour. Oat flour has become one of the flours I use the most frequently. I love its taste and softness. Besides being tasty and delicious oats are a very affordable health food as well.
- 100 g / 3.5 oz whole grain spelt flour
- 90 g / 3.2 oz oat flour or ground oats
- 80 g / 2.8 oz almond flour or ground almonds + 20 g / 1.1 oz chopped almonds on top
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or 3 tsp vanilla sugar)
- 1 egg
- 150 g / 5.3 oz plain greek yogurt
- 5 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 50 g / 1.8 oz dates, pitted and mashed (if dried, soak in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain)
- 50 g / 1.8 oz melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup chopped strawberries + 1/4 cup chopped strawberries on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease the pan with oil or butter.
- In a big bowl, mix spelt flour, oat flour, almond flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk mashed dates, yogurt, milk, honey, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and then add the chopped strawberries and stir together.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tins, then top with chopped almond and strawberries. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate over a hot water-bath, stirring occasionally. Then pour the melted chocolate over muffins and enjoy!