About 2 months ago, my boyfriend (Andrej) and I moved to Zürich because of his job. For the last few weeks, our life has been very hectic. Packing, moving with just two suitcases, living in Airbnb for the first 3 weeks and waiting for all the stuff we left in Slovakia to arrive, including all the props I use for shooting and cooking. Finally, we found an apartment to live in and everything seems to be coming together nicely. I’m so happy I’m back in the kitchen and more importantly- back here with a new recipe!
Anyway, on the recipe!
Andrej can be sometimes very fussy eater who turns his nose up at all green soups I make. In fact, this pea soup is the only green soup that he likes, so you can be sure that your family will love it! It’s very simple, ordinary soup but crunchy bacon and fresh herbs turns this soup into special meal. Feel free to use any herbs you like.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (add more if you prefer thinner soups)
- 500 g fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 – 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (omit if your vegetable stack is salty)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 hanfuls of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3.5 oz bacon, chopped into small pieces
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pot, than add onion and fry for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and fry until golden-brown. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Then add peas, season with turmeric, salt, black pepper and sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer until the peas are tender.
- Allow to cool for 10-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a frying pan and add bacon chunks. Fry it over medium-high heat to render the fat and get crispy on all sides, about 5-7 minutes total.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, add 2 handfuls of chopped parsley and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the soup into bowls or jars, drizzle olive oil over each serving and sprinkle with chopped parsley and bacon chunks. Enjoy!