I’m so excited about how tasty and simple this salad is. The sweeteness of honey, crispy olive croutons and fresh mandarins make this a marvellous meal. If you think veggies and salads are boring, try this recipe and you’ll change your mind.
We eat lots of vegetables so making salads became almost my daily routine. I‘m not a fan of boring salad recipes so I try to come up with delicious new variations. Actually, this green salad with mandarins was a leftover recipe but it came out as a really good, fresh and my most favourite salad this season. It makes a perfect starter, light lunch or dinner. It can be also served as a side dish. Don’t be afraid of mixing fruit and veggies in salad recipes. Give it a try and believe me, you’ll love it.
For 2 servings:
- 150g/5.3oz bread (I used spelt bread)
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 big handfuls of greens (I used baby spinach and rocket)
- 130 g/4.6 oz carrot
- 3 large mandarins
- 4 eggs
- a handful of walnuts
- 2 1/2tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- Cover eggs with cold water in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook eggs for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the bread into cubes. There are 2 options how to prepare croutons. You can fry them in hot oil olive in a big frying pan until crispy or you can preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190°C, place the bread cubes on a baking tray lined with a parchment paper, drizzle with a little bit of oil and put them in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove the tray, stir croutons and bake for another 5-10 minutes (depending on how browned and crunchy you want them).
- The next step is to prepare veggies, mandarins and eggs. You don´t have to combine them together, just put them aside before serving. Wash greens and tear them up. Peel carrots and cut them into slice and divide peeled mandarins into wedges. Peel boiled eggs and cut them in small pieces.
- Put bread cubes on plates and cover with greens. Then layer carrot pieces, mandarin wedges and eggs.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together honey, lemon juice and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Finally, pour the honey dressing over salads and sprinke with walnuts on top.