This recipe is for very classic waffles that are crisp from the outside and fluffy on the inside. It doesn’t contain any sugar, just a little bit of natural sweetener like maple syrup or honey. The waffles are plain and there is no overpowering flavor, so they can be served with just about any sweet topping. You have endless options!
With these waffles, I always stick to a classic topping, hot melted chocolate and strawberries. But more often, I go for a lighter option and use some Greek yogurt, nut butter, fruits, cinnamon and chocolate. You can’t go wrong with this tasty combination.
Makes 4 to 5 waffles
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk of your choice
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 egg
- a pinch of sea salt
- non-stick cooking spray or 2-3 tbsp of oil or melted butter for greasing the waffle iron
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt /40 g melted chocolate/ nut butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- fruits of your choice
- Preheat the waffle iron. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder; and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and maple syrup. Pour the wet ingredients over flour mixture, and whisk gently to combine (do not over mix).
- Grease your preheated waffle iron with a little bit of melted butter or oil (with a silicon brush) or spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour enough batter in iron to just cover waffle grid. Cook waffles until golden- brown and crisp.
- Decorate as you wish.