A few days ago I realised that I have not shared any summery recipes yet, so it’s time for something refreshing! It’s been a while since I heard about Semifreddo but I haven’t tried it until now. And oh my..it’s amazing!
Believe me, if you haven’t tried Semifreddo yet, you’re missing out. The word “semifreddo” is Italian for semi frozen, it tastes like a cross between frozen chocolate mousse and ice-cream. It’s very easy to make, it doesn’t require an ice-cream maker yet is equally creamy and delicious. All you have to do is put all the ingredients together, pour the chocolate mixture into prepared tin, freeze it and that’s it! Simple, right? One of the best things about this dessert is that it can be frozen for up to 2 weeks so it’s a perfect make-ahead dinner-party dessert.
Let me know if you try the recipe.
Have a nice day guys!
- 270 g / 9.5 oz good quality chocolate (60-70 per cent cocoa solids)
- 500 ml / 2 cups whipping cream (35 per cent butter fat)
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 4 organic eggs
- 80 g / 2.8 oz cane sugar
- 130 g / 4.6 oz nuts, chopped (I used walnuts, hazelnuts and cashews)
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Make sure the surface of the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir occasionally. Once melted, set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Toast the nuts in a dry (un-oiled) pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer, until pale and foamy.
- Beat the cream and vanilla with an electric mixer just until they hold a loose peak.
- Stir the chocolate into the egg mixture. Then add the whipped cream and roasted nuts into the chocolate mixture and mix until just combined.
- Grease the inside of a loaf tin with oil or melted butter and line it with two layers of cling film. Pour the chocolate mixture into the tin, cover with cling film and freeze for at leat 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Remove the semifreddo from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Unfold plastic wrap from top and turn it onto a board. Serve in slices with berries and grated chocolate on top.