Breakfast is often considered to be the most important meal of the day so it shouldn’t be skipped because of morning rush. A healthy breakfast will keep your metabolism happy and charge your energy system. One thing that always works for me is preparing breakfast the day before. Usually, I like to make banana bread, smoothies or my all time favorite chocolate granola. I can’t think of a better morning treat to lighten up my lazy mornings. I’ve tried so many different granola recipes but this one is by far the best I’ve ever had. It’s healthy, crunchy, easy to make and it stays fresh up to two weeks.
Actually, there are many ways to eat granola. It can be eaten as a crunchy snack or served with milk in a bowl as breakfast. I also make yogurt parfait with chocolate granola and fruits as a dessert. Or it can be added to your favourite cookie or muffin recipes.
My favorite version of this recipe is with dry bananas, chia seeds and dark chocolate but feel free to use your preferred type of dried fruit, seeds and chocolate. When I make it I have to double the recipe because my boyfriend would eat all of this granola in two days, with a spoon straight from the jar. Believe me, it’s really delicious. I hope you’ll love this crunchy treat as much as I do.
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats (Use gluten free if you are celiac)
- 1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup nuts of your choice (I used cashews, use seeds if you are allergic to nuts)
- 4 tbsp seeds of your choice (I used chia seeds)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
- 6 tbsp honey or agave syrup or maple syrup
- 150g/ 5.3 oz good quality dark or milk chocolate
- 70g/ 2.5 oz dried fruits of your choice
- Preheat oven to 370 F/ 170°C. Line a baking tray with a sheed of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, coconut, nuts, seeds and cacao powder. Melt coconut oil with honey over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking tray without stirring. Then add the chopped chocolate and dried fruit to your granola and combine together.
- Finally transfer the granola to an airtight container and store at room temperature. It will keep fresh for up to two weeks.