The weather has been awful for the past few days here in Zurich. All I want to eat right now is some chocolate cake and warm soup. A few days ago I made this amazing chocolate banana cake with avocado frosting. It was so good that we ate the whole cake in one day! For a frosting, I made a chocolate avocado cream with maple syrup and cocoa powder- super healthy and delicious! Make sure the avocado and banana are fully ripe, otherwise your cream can turn out a bit bitter.
Have a beautiful day everyone!
- 1 cup/ 90 g oat flour (or ground oats)
- 1/2 cup / 50 g almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla powder
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 egg (vegans use chia egg- 1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or honey
For the frosting:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 avocado
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 356°F. Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix oat flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, coconut oil, egg, maple syrup or honey and mashed banana.
- Pour wet ingredients over flour mixture and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for about 20- 25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 25 minutes, then remove it from the pan. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Put all the ingredients for the frosting into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste it, and add more maple syrup or cocoa powder if needed. Put the frosting in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Frost the cooled cake and serve it with berries and almond flakes. Store the cake in the refrigerator.