Celebrate the arrival of summer with this Strawberry Peach Galette. It’s a lovely refreshing and delicious dessert that looks all fancy. For reals, it’s so simple to make. You don’t need any special ninja baking skills to make it. The more messed up it looks, the better.
The finished cake taste definitely best on the day it is baked. Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or sour cream.
For the dough:
- 7.2 oz/205 g + 2 tbsp spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unrefined sugar
- a pinch of sea salt
- 5.3 oz/150 g unsalted butter, cold
- 1/3 cup/80 ml ice water
For the galette:
- 3 peaches, rinsed and cut into wedges
- 7.1 oz/200 g strawberries, rinsed, hulled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or 3 tsp vanilla sugar)
- 2 tbsp runny honey or maple syrup
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter into the flour mixture and cut it into very small pieces. Add the water and gently mix by hand until the dough forms a rough clump. Do not overwork the dough to avoid toughness. Then wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the peaches, strawberries, vanilla and flour. Stir gently to combine.
- When the dough is well chilled, preheat the oven to 347 F/ 175ºC.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and flatten it with the palm of your hand. Use a rolling-pin to roll the dough out into a round about 1/4 inch thick. Once your dough is rolled out, you simply roll it onto the rolling-pin and transfer it to a parchment lined baking tray.
- Pour the fruits into the center of the dough, leaving 2 inches clear around the edge. Fold the outer edges of the pastry over the strawberry peach mixture, creating overlapping folds. Then brush the edges and sides with the whisked egg and pour honey over the top of the fruit.
- Bake the galette for 50-60 minutes.