It’s not December without hot chocolate, right? It’s the best cold-weather treat that tastes just like Christmas.
I tried several hot chocolate recipes but this one is by far my favourite. It requires only 3 ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to make. Almond milk gives it a nice nutty flavor and goes well with dark chocolate. It’s perfectly drinkable, but it’s definitely not too liquidy or too thick. I did not add any extra sugar or sweetener, but you can definitely increase the amount of sweetener. Feel free to use whatever toppings you like or change up the flavors. Amaretto, cinnamon or a tiny bit of orange zest can be a very delicious addition.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
- 2 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5.3 oz / 150 g good quality dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I used 60% dark chocolate)
- Heat almond milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until almost boiling.
- Whisk in cocoa powder and chocolate. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is creamy and chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream or foamed milk. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top and serve hot.